I can’t believe I forgot to post about these! Now that it is sometime later, I think I’m going to have to make more of them. They are so very good! Next time I’m going to cut the dough into slightly larger pieces, since many of them lost their cheesy centers while they were baking.
I made these in a bag, because I didn’t want to get a bowl dirty. We make bread that way, so why not pretzels?
Cheddar Cheese Pretzel Bites
Adapted from twopeas.
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 package active dry yeast
3 ounces unsalted butter, melted
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher
4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
5 quarts water
3/4 cup baking soda
1 whole egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
Coarse sea salt or pretzel salt
1. Combine the water, sugar, yeast, and butter in a gallon size ziplock bag. Seal the bag and let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Add the salt and flour and mix on until combined. Continue kneading in the bag until the dough is smooth and begins to pull away from the side of the bag, about 3 to 4 minutes. If the dough appears too wet, add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time. Remove the dough from the bag, place on a flat surface and knead into a ball with your hands.
3. Oil a bowl with canola oil, add the dough and turn to coat with the oil. Cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap and place in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Bring the water to a boil in a large pot over high heat and carefully add the baking soda.
5. Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a flat surface. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, about 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 ounces each. Roll each piece into a long rope measuring 22 inches and shape. Cut the dough into 1 1/2 to 2 inch pieces to make the pretzel bites. Roll each bite flat with a rolling pin. Stuff each bite with cheese. Fold over the dough and pinch the ends. Set bites on a baking sheet and continue until all pretzel bites are stuffed.
6. Boil the pretzel bites in the water solution in batches. We did about 15 bites at a time. Boil for about 30 seconds. Remove with a large slotted spoon. Place pretzel bites on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper or a Silpat. Make sure they are not touching. Brush the tops with the egg wash and season liberally with the salt. Place into the oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown.
7. Remove from oven and let cool for five minutes.
Makes about 6 dozen cheese stuffed pretzel bites